Profiles

Embrace



I'm Dirk and I'm 30 years old. I've been in London since 2001 and came through an Embrace placement scheme as I was unemployed in Germany. Since then I have worked as project coordinator/ manager, and now as one of the senior managers of Embrace. I came to the UK because I wanted to study and to work in a different country. I'm interested in building businesses that benefit other people whilst being financially sound. My background is as Social Anthropologist but my Life Dream is definitely to be a Social Entrepreneur and later Social Investor. The craziest thing I've done is to cycle 1600 Km through Japan by myself with my bike and to camp everywhere. That was really one of the best things!





My name is Waltraud Idir (46) and my role at Embrace is Executive Director as well. I am mainly responsible for programmes, project development, training and Human Resources. I was born in Germany but have lived in the UK for 16 years. I speak German and English. My interests are travelling, reflecting, philosophy, enjoying the magic of life, being with my family and friends, having fun! The craziest thing I have done: ... to just pack up and go, starting something great, not knowing how it will work and to trust its going to be great! My Life Dream: being part of a movement where we create unique and powerful services, networks, retreat centres, training places for and with people to start their own Life Dreams and feel happy about themselves - just having a beautiful life with all the people I love.





I am Teddy, short for Tedros, and I was born in Eritrea. I am 19 years old and had to flee my home country because I was put in prison there for my religion. I came to London in 2004 and I started a work placement as a handyman for construction at Embrace in 2007. It was great and I really learned a lot. Now I am studying part-time for an NVQ in construction at Lewisham College. I am also working parttime for Embrace Social Enterprises in their Home Improvement project where I get to do practical work in carpentry, painting and decorating. I like this work and my colleagues who are from Germany, Jamaica and also from the UK. My plan is to finish my NVQ and to work as carpenter fulltime.




My name is John Cannell and I am 39 years old. At Embrace I am working as a Project Manager. I speak English; this is also my mother tongue. I am interested in environmental conservation, new media and like to support young adults through our projects.





My name is Aron Mebrahtu and I'm 27 years old from Eritrea. I speak Eritrean language called Tigrigna. I've been in London since 2004 and got opportunity to do work placement at Embrace in 2006 as Finance officer. In 2007 I have got a chance to work in Embrace as full time Finance Manager. I'm interested in supporting the East African Community to improve their life style. I am a mathematician and statistician. My Life Dream is to set up educational training centre for East African Community that integrates them with Europe and in rest of the world. When I was back home I used to watch football the whole night on TV and going to school in the morning without sleeping a single minute. And this shows I am crazy at playing and watching football matches.